For travels 2004 and later, go to www.ikemi.info/mytravel.html
- December 13, 2003 caught a little bit of the the Pasko Na Sayon Family Day at the Pacific Asia Museum.
- November 15-16 I went back to the Japan Expo. It was even smaller than last year, but the quality is improving. The theme was the anniversary of the opening of Japan by Perry.
- Oct 26 I paid a quick visit to the Japanese Festival at the Van Nuys Japanese Garden, but missed most of the performances since I rushed over to LACMA to see a Korean dance performance. You could see the smoke of the Simi Valley fire from the Sepulveda basin.
- Oct 19 I took part in the AidsWalk in West Hollywood as part of team Raytheon
- Oct 18 I made it to the India Family Free Day at the Pacific Asia Museum in Pasadena
- Oct 3-7 I attended Animagic
in Lancaster. I tied climbing Mt. Emma south of Palmdale, but it's still closed
to protect the desert toad.
- September 14, 2003 I visited the Asian
Pacific Islander Festival at the LA County Fair. I also took a tour through
the History of Flight exhibit.
- August 16 and 17 I attended the last
weekend of Nisei Week, including the Odori and the new Cosplay
- August 3-13 I returned to the Big
Island of Hawaii and finally completed the backpacking trip to the Waimanu
Valley that I aborted in 1997. I also had a near-death experience almost
drowning in the Waipio Valley. I also killed my digital camera and lost my
prescription sunglasses. This time I also made it to the lava fields and the
top of Mauna Kea. My Elura camcorder also disappeared between Kona and LAX!
An expensive trip in terms of equipment.
- Visited the Obon festival
at the Pasadena Buddhist Church on July 20, 2003.
- July 18 and 19 drove down to San
Diego for Comicon and Julius Caeser at the Old Globe
- Visited Obon at the Zenshuji Buddhist
- July 12 As a warm-up for Hawaii, made an overnight backpacking trip to Oakwilde
trail camp in the Arroyo Seco
- July 4 and 5 went to Anime Expo
which has returned to Anaheim. Seemed like low attendance
- June 29 took a hike in Monrovia at
- June 21 I spent a day at Fanime
in Silicon Valley and spent the next day wine tasting in Paso Robles
- June 1 I made it back to Torrance's Oodles
of Noodles cultural festival and pasta pig-out.
- May 18 I took in Heritage Square
and the Southwestern Museum as part of the Arroyo Museum Day
- May 17 I caught part of the West
Covina Cherry Blossom Festival (Three Cherry Blossom Festivals in the
- May 10 I caught part of Kodomo
no Hi, Children's Day, at the the Japanese American Community Cultural
Center. It's getting to be quite multicultural, including Korean hip-hp and
jazz dancing to Japanese classical dancing and flamenco.
- April 27 I returned to the Van Nuys Japanese Garden for their
- April 25 I was the photographer at the
Hughes Social Dance Club Spring Ball
- April 18-20 I drove up by myself to Mammoth
Mountain to telemark and on the way back I visited Manzanar
- April 13 I made my annual trip to the Monterey
Park Cherry Blossom Festival
- April 12 I made a run out to the poppy
preserve west of Lancaster
- April 6 I made it to Astro Boy's
birthday party at the JACCC and even got a piece of cake!
- April 5 caught the tail end (again) of the Saturday installment of the Bunka
Sai Torrance Sister City Celebration
- March 30 I caught the tail end of the Pasadena
Cherry Blossom Festival (a busy weekend!)
- March 28 went to Ani-Jam in Fresno. Also went to the
Shinzen Japanese Garden in Fresno and to the Forestiere
- March 15 Disaster at the Tour de
Sewer. Unfixable flat in the rain caused me to abort with only about 20
miles total on the odometer. Also killed my new cell phone when it got soaked.
Caught a piece of gass in my tire and with the tire wet it was impossible
to find! Changed that tire so many times in vain and even mangled my rear
disc brake return spring in the process.
- March 8-9 returned to Mammoth and finally made the traverse
from the Main Lodge to Mammoth Pass and Tamarack
- Feb 21-23 Went to Mammoth with
the Asian Ski and Board Club. I went cross country skiing up to Mammoth Pass.
- Feb 16 went to the Chinese New Year
Lantern Festival in Monterey Park.
- Feb 12 Pot Luck Dinner at the Japanese
Language Conversation Class
- Feb 12 Photos from the RAPPA Lunar
New Year Luncheon
- Feb 15 attended the Day of Remembrance
at the JANM.
- Feb 8 Went to see the Kashiwa-Torrance
Sister Cities Cultural Night
- Jan. 1 2003 I went to the New Years
festivities in Little Tokyo at Weller Court and Little Tokyo Village Mall.
Here's what else I've been up to:
- Travels 2000 to 2002
- Travels 1999 and before. What I've been up
to before 2000. (I know, there are pre 1999 items listed on this page, too.)
- Oshogatsu 2000. Japanese
New Year in Little Tokyo LA at the JACCC and JANM
- Japan Expo 1999 at the
LA Convention Center the weekend after Thanksgiving. Smaller and more intimate.
- Vacation 99 to the East
Coast and AWA99, Anime USA
- Nisei Week 1999 in LA
- Fanime 99 in San Jose
- Anime Expo 99 Only 3 photos!
- ComicCon 99 in San Diego
photos of creators
- Venice and the Alps in 1998
- Hikes Some of my hiking adventures
- ComicCon 98
- Ravenna in 1996 after hiking
- Swiss Alps. I was invited
by Risty and his uncle and cousins to hike from hut to hut with some cheating
- Germany I visited in 1994.
First we took a motorcycle tour with Edelweiss and then rented a car to go
to places including Cologne, Peenemunde, Berlin, Nordhausen, Leipzig, Trier,
and crossed the border to Luxembourg.
- France A journey by bike
and train through France in 1989.
- In 1988 I took the ferry from Seattle to Skagway Alaska with my R100S and
went to Fairbanks and the Kenai Peninsula. I'll never forgot riding on a train
flatcar with my motorcycle, or flying with a bush pilot to an Eskimo Village
in the Brooks Range.
- I bicycled 1200 miles from my door in Hermosa Beach to Cabo San Lucas at
the tip of the Baja Peninsula. I flew back.
- In 1982 I bicycled from Eugene, OR to Washington, DC in two months. My camera
wasn't working so I have few if any pictures from that trip.
- In 1980 I rode my R90/6 BMW across the country to Nova Scotia.
Last Update: 16 June 2004
Web Author: Doug Ikemi